Find out more about us online!

Find out more about us online!
Itsaboutlove.org Family Profile # 22223654 or email us donnelandfrank@gmail.com

Saturday, June 23, 2012

So I asked myself.... "Self?"

I am just going to put something out there and you all can mull it over and tell me what you think. "Is it just me or is Adoption becoming prohibitively expensive?" I am being serious here. There is something very wrong about paying a minimum of $20,000 for a child. More often than not it is $30,000 or even $50,000 after all things are said and done. Who has that kind of money just lying around.... especially in this economy? The bigger issue... the darker issue that really needs to be brought out into the light is: 'Who profits?' Now there are government subsidies and grants for this and I am grateful. Really, I am. It is the one good thing that the government, in my small opinion, has done right for/by adoptive families. I wonder how many agencies would continue to assist families in the adoption of children if there was not so much money to be had in it. Don't take me the wrong way many, if not most, of those who assist/facilitate adoption do so with nothing but the interests of the child and both families at heart. There are times however when I look at the fees in the paperwork from agencies and I have to ask the stupid question. What drives this? To which my mind returns to a lecture from my Econ 101 class in college. The Principle of Supply and Demand. Another question would be: How many more children would be placed in homes with families that would love them if the price of adoption were to go down? It boggles the mind. The application of the principle of supply and demand can be applied in many respects to the business of adoption. Children, in my opinion, should not be an item that is bought and sold in the marketplace. Children are not or should not be a commodity. A child is a child. Let them have a family. The most wonderful selfless act of adoption is being out beyond the reach of those who want to provide that family. I know in my heart that I want to adopt a child. God knows and I know He listens. And one day it will happen. There I have vented. Thanks for reading. Until later.

No comments: